Monday 12 January 2015

We're back... With a twist...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

After a long hiatus Review the 250 is back; and this time, we have a new calling!

Trying to review the entire IMDb 250 list was ambitious. Not necessarily due to the large volume of films, but instead because the list is completely, irritatingly fluid. I dare anybody to attempt to keep track of a rolling list with films that can fall in and out of the rankings like the wind. For me, it was a nightmare by the end of the week. Along with the fact that a lot of the films are very old and irrelevant in today's fast paced news cycle, I soon lost interest in this very daunting challenge. Instead I have been set a challenge that, whilst still ambitious, is a lot more manageable and current.

I intend to watch a new film every day for a year. 

There. Simple. 365 new films that I must watch and then document. Finishing on 11th January 2015. Now, like last time...

There are rules...

1. No looking at the hit counter.

The most discouraging thing for me about my last attempt at maintaining a film blog was finding that all my two months of steady, encouraging progress was all thanks to spam bots. This was, to be honest, crushing. But all that will be a thing of the past as I am doing this for my further education in the art of film, and whoever wants to follow me. I will value 10 regular readers much more than I will value 100 procrastinator.

2. 365 new films, 365 days.

This will mostly involve new cinematic releases but most importantly, they have to be new to me. I must not count films that I have already seen. I will continue to write my Stray Reviews, but they will not be included in the challenge. Also I will keep you informed about my special events. I am of course realistic, there will be days when I simple won't be able to complete a film, however, I MUST catch up i.e. watch 2 the day after. 

3. Short and Sweet.

I used to write 3 or 4 page essays on all the films I used to watch. No more! Even the top critics struggle to find that much to say. So I'm going to aim for under a Page, and keep the quality up. This is going to be a marathon not a sprint.

So wish me luck everybody, and keep up with my progress on this blog, facebook, and my Letterboxd page.

My first film is Wild which I am on my way to see right now.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for reading!

William.

Next: Wild (#1)



No comments:

Post a Comment