Monday 12 January 2015

Day 1: Wild (2014)

Day 1: Wild (2014)


Starring: Reece Witherspoon
Directed by: Jean-Marc Vall
ée
Rotten Tomatoes: 91%
Verdict: 4.2

I find it rather fitting that the first film in my year long journey of discovery just happens to be about the 3 month long (considerably more difficult) journey of Cheryl Strayed, a woman who after an emotional downward spiral after the passing of her mother, decides to hike the 1,100 mile journey from the Mexican to the Canadian border with a pack that she can barely lift, no preparation and a brain full of literary motivation.

At 115 minutes, the film felt surprisingly brisk. While I felt there was enough character development to keep me chewing for the full two hours, it was clear there were a few spectators near by me who clearly thought it was boring. I personally can't see why. If they were bored (as is their right) then they had absolutely no excuse not to be taken in by the overwhelming scenery. Every rushing stream, wide canyon and unforgiving desert; you felt as if you were there, enduring it as well. A beautiful juxtaposition that, while unoriginal, is perfect for the heart wrenching story that clings to Cheryl. Cheryl of course being played by the raw, honest and talented as ever Reece Witherspoon. From the wince-inducing opening scene to the emotional ending, she reminds us through every single frame why she has that Oscar on her mantelpiece.

The unexpected gem of the film was Laura Dern who played Cheryl's mother, Bobbi. If it wasn't for the sympathetic and good natured portrayal of this stalwart figure in Cheryl's life, I don't think I'd have felt anywhere near as much pain for the family as she passed. I really felt that this was the force driving her to fix herself. I think without that, the story would have felt a lot more pointless. In other words, I actually buy into that being the motivation for her going on this near impossible journey. 

I can't go without complimenting the soundtrack that I have been listening to while I am writing this. Ranging from the mellow sounds of the 60's to the more edgy modern tracks, it's a perfect accent to the film or just good for easy listening.

My main criticism was that I felt the film's director, Jean-Marc Vallée, could have made a more visually interesting pay off. A nice consolation for the more fidgety audience members may have been a better ending to this 3 month mega-journey, a conclusion that better rewarded the very deserving Cheryl.

Apart from that, I would leave you with a wholehearted recommendation that you pop down to your nearest cinema to support this film when it is released this Friday (16/01) in the UK. 

If not for the performance, the cinematography, the soundtrack or just for the night out, go for the guarantee that It will leave you wanting to leave everything behind and jump straight into the wilderness; a journey of your own self discovery.

Thanks for reading.

William.

Day 2: Foxcatcher (2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment