Friday 5 July 2013

250 Review; Beauty and the Beast (#238)

Beauty and the Beast (#238/250)

Starring: Paige O'Hara, Robby Benson.
Rating/Volume: 8.0 (174,000)
My Rating: WATCH
Source: DVD

Well, well, well. I thought I'd soldier on with Disney today as I have some spare time after I managed to complete my three video long explanation of the Marvel cinematic universe. I think it turned out well, even if every single thumbnail made me look at if I was having a stroke. Thanks a bunch, Google! I'm going to start hopefully uploading about two or three videos a week to start and I will soon have my artwork finished by, the one and only, Mr Alli Vanes (See News Flash! #3). Anyway, on with the review.

This is a film that is so iconic, well thought of and cherished film that it barely needs any introduction, explanation or criticism. However, my goal was every movie on the top 250 list and I am not one to give up on my goals so easily.The film was made in 1991 by Walt Disney Pictures and in 1992 won the Best Original Score and Original Song academy award.It was also nominated for Best Picture, Disney's first ever best picture nomination, but sadly lost out to Silence of the Lambs (#23). It was the third most successful film of 1991 only surpassed by Terminator 2: Judgment Day (#36) and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It was also Disney's 30th animated feature film. They tried twice to adapt this famous story once in the 30's, then again in the 50's. It was only after The Little Mermaid turned out to be a roaring success that they decided to try it again; and I bet they're glad they did! Also, like many of their best adaptations, it is an adaptation of a classic fairy tale. Beauty and the Beast is a traditional French fairy tale first published in 1740. The tale is about a beautiful, young woman who goes to live at a Beast's castle instead of her father, who was imprisoned due to stealing a rose from the Beast's grounds. After being kept there in comfort and luxury by the Beast (who constantly asked her for marriage), she went home to see family but stayed there instead of returning. Feeling guilty, she looked into an enchanted mirror that she took from the castle and saw in it the Beast; lying on the floor half dead from heartbreak. She went straight back to the castle and wept over his body saying that she loved him all along. Then, suddenly, the beast woke up and transformed into a handsome prince. He explained to Belle that he was cursed by a witch who he refused to let in from the rain one night and it was only when he found somebody who would love him in spite of his ugliness that he could once again be a prince. They married and then they lived in his castle, happily ever after. N'aw! How lovely; and the film kept a lot of the story points the same. Only adding typical Disney trademarks. The brutish antagonist, Gaston. The clone face Disney princess vibe that Belle gives off. The catchy, well rehearsed original music. The walking, talking household appliances (which, for me, is by far the best aspect of the film). Heck, even the Beast's just a big softy on the inside and out; he's like a huge house cat! This film will really appeal to children as well as the whole family.

Now, I must admit I never saw this film when I was a child. Only more recently did I see it, as I was sitting at my girlfriend's house did the conversation turn to Disney films. "You've never seen Beauty and the Beast!?", they all shrieked in disbelief at me as they went to stick the DVD on. I was familiar with Beauty and the Beast. My sister and I actually had two videos from when we were younger. Except, neither of them were the official feature film; one was a christmas special and one was a Mrs Potts and Chip spin off. Both were simply darling. I mean, who doesn't just love Chip? Why we got two spin-off features and not the official feature length film is beyond me, but anyway; I finally saw it. I really did enjoy it too. I thought the songs in it were lovely, definitely worth thier Oscar win, and all the characters were so typically Disney. However, maybe because I just never saw it as a child so I don't personally have any emotional attachments to the film, or maybe because I was just one massive hipster toddler, this wasn't my favourite Disney film. Not by a long way. I actually preferred my spin-off special videos! I might get hate mail because of this, but, it really wasn't. My personal favourite classic animated Disney films include the likes of Robin Hood, Basil the Great Mouse Detective and even The Rescuers. Beauty and the Beast (#238) never even entered my radar screen. That's not to say it isn't one of the best, just not one of my best. I'm not sure why this is particularly. Like I said, I enjoyed the film. But maybe that's the key with all Disney films. Like I have said in my previous reviews I can't name a single bad Disney film and that is because there isn't one. Disney just always get it right. I think the distinction between them and, therefore, why many people always regard Disney as their favourite films is because those are the films they grew up with. Not only did we grow up with them, but our parents and our grandparents did as well (depending on your age, of course). They are the one generational constant that we have with our grandparents at childhood and I think that is really sweet. I think that's the reason they are so great and they can be appreciated, loved and cherished by all ages...

They are truly, truly timeless.

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. You can buy it anywhere on DVD and Blu Ray from £10 or so. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments or your own views and opinions; you can also leave a comment below!

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !

Thanks for reading!

William

Next: Jurassic Park (#226)

No comments:

Post a Comment