Tuesday 11 June 2013

V for Vendetta (#161)

V for Vendetta (#161/250)

Starring: Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving.

Rating/Volume: 8.1 (465,000)
My Rating: WATCH
Source: DVD

Well, to be honest. I didn't know where to start.

#1? #250? In the middle? Oldest first? Well I decided I'd go for my favourite film first of all. This is really not biased! Just a great way for me to start the journey and get myself into the routine.

It all started with an accidental encounter. Chaos theory, serendipity, call it whatever you want. When random events in life lead to something unexpected it brings you to the belief that it is the work of fate. Well, I believe it is was fate that V for Vendetta found me that night. Not only was it a real treat to watch but it also helped shape my entire future outlook on the way I feel about films. An overstatement I hear you cry? Nope. It's my favourite film for a reason!

A brief introduction for the people who haven't seen the the film, this 2005 graphic novel adaptation directed by Andy and Lana Wachowski follows a woman called Evey (you'll notice that the letter V crops up now and again) in a totalitarian, fascist alternate Britain set in the not too distant future. Rescued one night by a masked terrorist called only V, further chance encounters lead them on a hunt to find the reason behind the governments surprising uprising and the secrets that could once again liberate the UK.

Now, I encountered this film a few years ago when I just happened to be channel flicking. I flicked onto BBC 3 and was confronted by scenes of Guy Fawkes attempting to blow up the houses of parliament. All through this film is the metaphor of V, being practically a copycat of Fawkes,wanting to blow up parliament as a symbol of freedom (hence Fawkes and all the 5th of November references). I think this was very well done as it instantly brings up both historical context as well as political intrigue. I also think that the references and plot points to do with the 5th November are integrated beautifully into the script. I personally think it has well acted by Portman and I also think (despite it being redubbed) even Hugo Weaving bought an elegance and intriguing depth to the character of V. I have the utmost respect for the fact that they kept the mask on the whole way through. Yes, I'm sorry, there's no big reveal. But I'm totally at peace with this as I love having something new to think about everytime I watch the film. He's better as a symbol than as just another burned movie face (Kruger, Opera Phantom etc). I will forever remember his as a smiley faced freedom fighter and that's the way I want it! The action, especially the end scene, is great as well. Excellent direction (if not, a bit too Matrix-esque, not that that's a bad thing). I've often said that one of the main reasons it is my favourite film is due to the fact it has got everything! It's a political thriller, romantic drama, action comedy, science-fiction fantasy. You can watch it no matter what mood you're in!

Truly the film to beat any film, right? Well this film grossed $70.5m on a $54m budget, so why wasn't it a box office hit? Well, like most underperforming films, I like to put them through the "Mum test". Now this is basically a way of testing mainstream audience views; the reasons why my Mum didn't go and see this film. Now, Mum is your average mainstream British cinema goer, and the reason why she didn't go and see it was because the idea of masked people going around like superheros didn't impress her. Now, despite the fact that The Avengers has recently broken the largest opening weekend record, darker hero movies such as Watchmen and V for Vendetta just don't make it at the box office. I think this is a real shame because, well, I'd like more of them! But then again, if a movies not successful financially, then where's the incentive for the studio? Sadly, they're just not in it completely for the movie magic.

So why did this change my outlook on films? I had an epiphany. If I hadn't turned over to BBC 3 that night and seen that film I may never have seen it. Therefore, being robbed of my favourite film. When it comes to films there's no other attitude to have than to say "I'll watch it, because it may be the best film I've never seen". You say no to life and you miss out, I'm not going to risk that attitude with the medium of entertainment I love so much.

Overall, a great film that I cannot recommend enough! It's an excellently told story with enough action and heart for what I'd consider to be an all time classic.

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. You can get the DVD anywhere for £3 and you will not regret it. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments and your own views and opinions.

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !

Thanks for reading!

William

Next: Django Unchained (#50)

No comments:

Post a Comment