Thursday 13 June 2013

Django Unchained (#50)

Django Unchained  (#50/250)

Starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz.

Rating/Volume: 8.5 (365,000)
My rating: WATCH
Source: DVD

Second post. From now on, I think I'm going to go through the list as near to reverse order as I can to avoid confusion; starting with Arsenic and Old Lace (#250) and concluding with The Shawshank Redemption (#1). Now, until I can get down to hmv I cannot start with Arsenic and Old Lace (#250); I am unfortunately bound by what's available on Netflix, in my personal DVD collection and what I have already seen. Now even though this accounts for most of the list, some of the more obscure and older films (which will still get my full attention) will have to be put off until I can buy/rent them. So bear with me.


Sadly, this is a film I didn't see in the cinema. Back when this was announced I hadn't even seen Pulp Fiction (#4) let alone given a bean about Quentin Tarantino's film making. It was last year that I took a punt on buying it as part of a 2 for £10 at HMV. Now, I'm not going to say much more, my Pulp Fiction (#4) review is one for another day but I will say that it inspired my to straight away watch Kill Bill Vol.1 (#151), Grindhouse and, of course, Django Unchained (#50). All directed/co-directed, and written by Quentin Tarantino.

A quick intro, this film starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio won two Oscars in 2012 for Best Original Screenplay by Quentin Tarantino and Best Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz. The story follows Dr King Schultz (Waltz), a bounty hunter/dentist, who after acquiring a slave (in spectacular fashion) called Django (Foxx) goes off in search of various criminals to kill them and collect their bounty. Causing controversy and disruption as they go they eventually find the plantation where Django's wife (Kerry Washington) resides. Owned by the flamboyant Calvin Candie (DiCaprio), King and Django hatch a plan to retrieve her.


I'm actually watching this film right now, it's on in front of me as I am sitting on my sofa writing this. It's only the second time I've seen this film but each scene and piece of dialogue is perfectly imprinted on my memory. I think this is a good film and, as always, very well written. It's set in the the American South. Slavery is still a thriving industry and a major issue, as you can tell from the obvious historical context (I don't think I have ever heard the N word used more times in a film than this, historically relevant or not). It is very well acted; who doesn't love the unique personality that Christoph Waltz brings to his characters? Even if he seems to be an exclusive tarantino property. In my opinion an oscar well deserved. He really accentuates the exceptional english that is utilised in the screenplay and you really learn to love the character's irresistible charm and politeness even in the face of constant killing and, well, buckets and buckets of blood. In fact, all the acting is done very well. Dicaprio is very convincing in his role, and you really get a sense (with all the stars) that your feelings towards the characters are exactly the way the director intended. Overall, I think it's loves story, western and a drama; and each genre explored is done very well.

It's not what I'd call a comedy. However, there is this one scene involving the KKK that is pure genius! The local Ku Klux Klan branch that decided to go off and 'deal with' Django must stop to sort out their masks due to the poorly constructed eyeholes. Even though this scene's very funny and well done and the film is full of often very witty dialogue, like I said, It's not what I'd call a comedy. There is still one scene that unsettles me. In fact it's happening in front of me right now. Candie is sitting watching two of his slaves fighting to the death. Now, I am a die hard blood and gore fan. But this scene is just brute aggression for the sake of brute aggression. Even sitting alone, I find it uncomfortable to watch as these two men covered in blood, bludgeon each other on the floor and pull each other's eyes out. Now, it could be argued that this adds a lot of historical accuracy and reveals the personality of the newly revealed character quite well, to an extent I'd agree. But, I'm not sure. I'll leave that for your judgement.

So, this film is definitely worth a watch! It will definitely go down as a Tarantino classic. It's a great period piece as well as demonstrating great talent both onscreen and behind it.

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. You can get the DVD anywhere for £10. It's still a relatively new release, hence the cost. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments and your own views and opinions.

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !

Thanks for reading!

William


Next: The Untouchables (#243)



No comments:

Post a Comment