Thursday 25 July 2013

Stray Review; The Wolverine (Out Now)

The Wolverine (Out Now!)

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rila Fukushima.
Rating/Volume: 7.6 (5,000)
My rating: WATCH
Source: Cineworld Cinemas (in 2D)

As a lot of people know, I am a huge comic book film fan. I love all superhero films such as The Avengers (#158), Man of Steel and The Dark Knight (#6), heck, who doesn't!? I especially love all the more stylistic graphic novel adaptations such as V for Vendetta (#161), Watchmen and Sin City (#141). But the X-Men series, despite being one of the most popular and beloved superhero teams in comic book history, has really missed its opportunity to make a great film franchise. The first trilogy was a relative success in terms of box office results and critical reception. Except perhaps the last one. But ever since 20th Century Fox has really failed to give its hot property a chance to develop first with the controversial X-Men Origins: Wolverine and then with the continuity-trampling X-Men: First Class. I considered the X-Men universe as good as dead
. I was debating whether or not to even go and see The Wolverine as I thought It may be a sad excuse to line Rupert Murdoch's with even more cash. But I'm actually rather pleased I did.

The Wolverine starts off in 1945 Japan where Logan (Hugh Jackman) dreams about when he saved a Japanese soldier from the blast of a nuclear bomb. Giving Logan his eternal gratitude, the story resumes back in modern America. He is tracked down by a Japanese woman (Rila Fukushima) who wishes to take Logan to Japan to say goodbye to the dying soldier who he saved many years ago. Arriving in Japan, the soldier (Mr Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi) who is now the richest businessman in Japan) offers to take Logan's healing ability. The chance of a normal life for the Wolverine. After discovering a plot to oust the heir to the Yashida heir, Logan gets tangled up in a chase across Japan to help protect the Yashida's granddaughter. 

The is Hugh Jackman's sixth time playing Wolverine (if you count the 5 second cameo in X-Men: First Class, which I do) and he is starring in the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past. Not that I'm complaining. In fact if we look at the entire Marvel Universe, regardless of studio, he is my second favourite character next to Tony Stark. He is such a complex character with a very rich history. In fact, if it wasn't for the dodgy special effects and the pure disrespect to the characters and history, X-Men Origins: Wolverine would have made a great film. I was glad to see a cinematic version of his history. This film I found developed his story nicely and was a nice addition to the original trilogy (which this film is a direct continuation of). I did find the character development very similar to Iron Man 3, but it was still good and it just made me fall further in love with the character that I hope to see Hugh Jackman still play in years to come. I also think the casting was spot on. Rila Fukushima looked the part and played the part of Yukio very well and the entire supporting cast were good. One thing I always forget to expect about films set in Japan is the great choreography that comes with the fight scenes. The whole film had a delicious eastern flavour throughout. I love martial arts films and, as well as having enough brutish action and explosions to keep mainstream audiences happy, it had some really fun martial arts and ninja scenes. I found every action scene perfectly executed and who doesn't love it when Logan pulls out those claws! I didn't see this film in 3D (just because of the times) so I can't really comment on whether you really need to see it in 3D. But, in 2D, it was still awesome.

I liked the story. Corporate espionage combined with science fiction and martial arts. A joy for any film fan. It's nice to see a bit of a different setting for a superhero film; as opposed to the usual setting America, America and, oh yeah, America. I did find the story getting a little bit dense towards the end. I'm not saying that it was particularly hard to follow but I often get frustrated with a film when it gets to the end and I really don't care about the ending. It happened with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and I didn't want to happen to this. All was revealed in the end, of course, but I found that I had to think back and think hard about what was going on. I couldn't even explain to you what the story was in the end, even though it appeared to clear everything up. Regardless, it was still a great journey!

I was actually really impressed with this film; I really enjoyed it. I think it was the breath of fresh air that the X-Men franchise really needed. As we all know X-Men: Days of Future Past is coming and I think that this was definitely the film to recapture everybody's interest. There is a substantial end of credits scene that beautifully sets up the next film and it left me gasping! It's nice to think that after a lot of fanboy disappointment that Fox are finally getting back on track with this franchise and are actually showing some direction. I highly doubt that this will ever get as successful as the Avengers universe; despite its potential, I just think they have messed up with the continuity too much. If they could just start again. Get it right from the beginning. The X-Men would be the hottest topic in Hollywood. But sadly, no. They can only make the best out of a bad situation. Marvel Studios set the pace. The Avengers and Iron Man 3 are both in the billion dollar club. Warner Brothers are sorting out their DC universe with their upcoming Superman/Batman film that has the entertainment industry in a tizz. Fox needs to catch up. They don't need the money but the X-Men universe deserves it. The fans deserve it.

Overall, I think The Wolverine was a great film with a great cast and action and character development to blow your socks off; and an amazing set up to X-Men: Days of Future Past. Well worth popping down to the cinema for this weekend!

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. It's currently in cinemas everywhere in 2D and 3D. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments and your own views and opinions and don't forget to leave a comment down below.

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Also you can follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !


Thanks for reading!


William


Next: Star Trek (#225)

No comments:

Post a Comment