Sunday 16 June 2013

The Untouchables (#246)

The Untouchables (#246/250)


Starring: Kevin Costner, Sean Connery.
Rating/Volume: 8.3 (153,000)
My rating: WATCH
Source: Netflix

As of today, this film has moved down the charts position! From #243 to #246. Commiserations to The Untouchables (#246)!  Now, this is probably going to happen a lot. The list is fluid. It will allow films to move up and down the rankings as the number of votes increases. It's a good system, just not when you're trying to keep a track of every single movement of all 250 films! Nevertheless, I will attempt to keep more of a track of the films that enter/leave and give you an up to date ranking as I go. Anyway, on to my latest film; academy award winning The Untouchables (#246).

Set in 1920's Chicago at the height of American alcohol prohibition and based on real events, Al Capone (Robert De Niro) runs the illegal alcohol business in the city; he has the authorities in his back pocket and is feared across the land. In comes Eliot Ness (Kevin Costner) as the 'one good cop' in the precinct. Intent on bringing Al Capone to justice in the face of bribes and assassination attempts, he and fellow 'good but ageing cop' Jim Malone (Sean Connery) put together a rag-tag team to bring down the mob.
I sat watching this on Netflix the other night. I know you should never judge a book by its cover, neither a film by its poster. But I'm terrible for this, I can't help it. For me, first impressions count. The movie poster (above) just makes it look like a big gang of gangsters in a normal film about gangsters and guns. And gangsters. And guns! Let me tell you, lesson number two on my journey so far, never judge a film by it's poster. Now, it's technically a gangster film, BUT it's definitely more of a police movie. It's also slightly lighter in tone than a more darker modern film would be, without making it feel too dated. Maybe because it's an eighties film? Sean Connery won an Oscar for his role in this film. Now, whether his acting was quite worth it I'll leave to your opinion. But I still thought he was very good. I liked his character and he played it very well. After being introduced to Ness on a bridge this honest officer patrolling the beat later becomes Ness' first team member. He handles a shotgun well considering that even in 1987 he's an old man! He's definitely my favourite character in the film, and because I don't want to give away any spoilers (because I hope you'll seek this film out for yourself, I'll stop there). In fact, all the acting is done well. De Niro makes a great Al Capone. Now, why does Robert De Niro always play the gangster? Why is it we can always rely on him to be a staple in any good gangster film? Is it his his Italian Heritage? Is it his close relationship with Martin Scorsese? I'd argue, that's it's simply because he does it so well. He is a two time Oscar winner and he's just, well, consistently a great actor. He does a really good psychotic villain as well as showing real heart and even comedic qualities in his other films like Meet the Parents. Also I like to see that he occasionally pushes the boat out for films like Frankenstein and Stardust. Overall, he's a quality actor and his psychotic tendencies show no sign of slowing down (especially in the scene with the meeting, do watch!). Stylistically it's quite good as well Towards the end there's a real classic scene where a cot with a baby rolling down a flight of stairs as Ness tries to save him as he's also trying to shoot bad guys. This scene is done really well and is reminiscent of Battleship Potemkin from 1925. Generally, the story is also great. To think this actually happened in the 1920's! These cops had to actually overcome these real life dangers just to uphold the law in, what should be, their own city. What an era.

This film is a great example of the reason I started this blog in the first place. It's all very well just criticising films. I set out on more of an angle to educate instead. My aim is to inspire you to go out and watch these films soon after you read the review. Some films just aren't destined to be classics, but great films are timeless. That's why I like the IMDB 250 list. They're all great films regardless of time, country or colour. So, to put it simply, I hope to inspire you. I also knew it would be a great excuse for me personally to get some films watched! And The Untouchables (#246) is a film I'm pleased I've seen. It's depressing to think that I never otherwise would have seen this film. And on Netflix as well?! Can't be bad.

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. It's available on DVD anywhere for £4 and it's also on Netflix for £6 a month. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments and your own views and opinions.

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !

Thanks for reading!

William


Next: Rain Man (#236)

No comments:

Post a Comment