Wednesday 19 June 2013

Shutter Island (#231)

Shutter Island (#231/250)


Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Kingsley.
Rating/Volume: 8.0 (395,000).
My rating: WATCH
Source: DVD

Hello there, my beloved readers! I first start with an apology. The day before last, I took a day off from blogging to revise for my final exam. But last night, I failed you all. I went out to the pub to celebrate my last exam, without considering my readers. All night you had to go without one of my reviews. And for this, I am deeply sorry. I have a 50th birthday party tonight, but I'm taking this time out to give you my opinion on Shutter Island (#231) because you deserve that! Also, don't worry, I'm officially finished college tomorrow, so you'll be recieving fresh content maybe even two time a day! You lucky lucky people! My readers deserve my full attention and that's what you're going to get! On a separate note, I just thought I'd mention that yesterday two thirds of my viewers were from Russia. So, whoop go Russia! Unless you're just the one person who visited it many times in one day. In that case, you're too cool my friend, too cool!
Anyway, on with the show! A quick intro, Shutter Island (#231) is a mystery, crime drama that takes place in a mental hospital for the most dangerous criminally insane on an island called Shutter Island. After a female patient reportedly escaped from the hospital, the troubled US marshal Teddy Daniels (DiCaprio) and his deputy Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) are called to investigate. After they meet the head doctor (no pun intended) Dr Cawley (Ben Kingsley) and explore the hospital they sense that something strange is going on on Shutter Island. Who is patient 67, and what's going on in the lighthouse? 

I remember walking into the cinema to to see this film for the first time (I think I went three times altogether) and the screen was packed. You could barely sit down. Me and my friend had to split up. He went and sat near the front and I sat next to the only seat I could see at the back. Unfortunately, it was next to this morbidly obese fellow wearing a superman hoodie who muttered to himself through the duration of the picture. But not even that guy put me off enjoying this film. Even from the opening scene as we watch these two big city cops wander into the unknown of this small island in the middle of the ocean. All the guards seem edgy all the doctors seem quiet. The patients seem the most normal people in the whole place! This is one of those films where I can't actually fault a single aspect of the whole production. The cinematography was excellent. Every wide scene of the island felt so desolate, it had so much atmosphere. The acting was good. DiCaprio did great in his role as Teddy Daniels. He played both sides of his character very well, especially in the end (twist) scene. You could see the depth of his character just from his acting. And I think those random dream sequences with his wife really added to the craziness of the whole film. Also, Mark Ruffalo as a supporting actor, even though he didn't do a great deal, was just amazing. But, what can I say, I'm a huge Ruffalo fan. All praise the mighty and unquestionable Ruffalo! I can proudly say that Martin Scorsese has done it again, folks. Every film he does is simply great. Goodfellas (#15) is one of my favourite films of all time and I think I speak of speak for everybody when I say the buzz for the upcoming Wolf of Wall Street is killing us (if you haven't seen the trailer for it yet, really, do)! But, by far, the best thing about the whole film was the story. The screenplay is genius, and at the end of the day it should be. The story should be the best part of a film. Films are made to tell stories, and this film has excelled! It's based on the 2003 novel by Dennis Lehane and the screenplay was written as a collaboration between Dennis Lehan and Laeta Kalogridis, who also wrote the screenplay for Alexander and produced Avatar. I have not personally read the book, but it's definitely near the top of my reading list. The story has one of the best twists that personally didn't see coming and all the aspects of the story fit perfectly together. In fact similarly to the Sixth Sense (#143) I found myself having to watch the film again to prove to myself it all checked out! But it did, and it was awesome.

Not only did I manage to fit it in three times at the cinema but I also bought it on DVD. Yes, I loved it that much. But it's not just about the great story (but it is about that mainly). It's just a very well put together film. I actually can't think of anything wrong with it. Even the twist isn't too cerebral it's just a good, accessible, classic of a film. It's so good there's almost no point of trying to criticise it. Just watch it. Watch it as soon as you can. All I can do is wholeheartedly recommend this film as definitely one to see before you die. Your life will be so much more enriched because of it!

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. You can buy it anywhere on DVD and Blu Ray from £3 and it is readily available on Netflix (a service that I can't recommend enough) at £6 a month. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments and your own views and opinions.

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !

Thanks for reading!

William


Next: Ratatouille (#226), the first of many Disney films!

No comments:

Post a Comment