Wednesday 16 October 2013

Stray Review; Prisoners (Out Now)

Prisoners (Out Now!)

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal.
Director: Denis Villeneuve.
Rating/Volume: 8.2 (29,000)
My rating: WATCH
Source: Cineworld Cinemas (in 2D)

Well, sadly The Fifth Estate didn't have such a great opening in the UK box office which disappointingly only achieved sixth place. Prisoners however achieved number one status for its third week in a row, even though this box office rough patch that the UK is currently going through. 
So I thought I'd hold off on Rush (#186) for a day or two just to give you my opinion on what all this fuss is about. But trust me; it's fuss well justified.

Prisoners follows two families whose youngest children disappear after their Thanksgiving dinner. Detective Loki (Jake Gyllenhaal) is called onto the case to solve the two disappearances. However when the top suspect Alex Jones (Paul Dano) is let go through lack of evidence one of the girl's father, Keller Dover (Hugh Jackman) abducts him and interrogates him to try and find out where the two girls are. The hunt is then on to try and find the two girls uncovering a twisted secret as they go.

I thought one stand out aspect was the pace of the film. From start to finish I was kept in complete suspense and did not find myself getting bored at all, despite its run time of two and a half hours! It had a compelling story, one that was difficult to second guess. It didn't just focus on the hunt for the children for over two hours either; it explored issues concerning moral rights and wrongs and showed some truly shocking and desperate occurrences. These added a depth that really shone through. Plus, At the end I came away from the cinema understanding all the plot twists and even surprised at who the final culprit was. All this was served perfectly with the addition of a dark and bleak tone. The locations conveyed this perfectly with plenty of snowy, damp and cold woodlands and suburban locations. All these factors made a really gripping and unique whodunnit. 

Another great aspect of this film was the cast. I thought the performance by Jackman as Dover was compelling. When times got tough you could really see his motivation to get his daughter back clearly across his face and as an audience member I even found myself wondering what I would do in the same situation. I really hope Hugh Jackman gets acknowledged for the work he's done, especially because I feel he lost out for his role in Les Miserables last year. Big shame. Also, my faith is coming back to Jake Gyllenhaal. For some reason, I've never really took to him as an actor. I wasn't a huge fan of Source Code and Prince of Persia was the only film where my whole family fell asleep in the cinema at once. But in this film he is really gritty. I think he was born to play this detective. You really believe that this guy who has never left a case unsolved. Another hidden gem is the work of the quiet and sensitive Paul Dano. Everything I have seen him in is really great and even though I still wouldn't title this film his breakthrough role I hope it's the next step to him getting the recognition he deserves.

Overall, I really liked this film. With an amazing cast, an excellent story and great scenery this is definitely one to see this weekend. Will this see number one spot for the fourth week running?

Now, I'm going to ask you to go and watch it yourself. It's currently in cinemas everywhere in 2D and 3D. Feel free to send me a message at reviewthe250@gmail.com with any comments and your own views and opinions and don't forget to leave a comment down below.

Be sure to hit the Share button down below! Also you can follow me on Twitter @reviewthe250 !


Thanks for reading!


William


Next: Rush (#186)

No comments:

Post a Comment